Thursday, January 29, 2009

Mike Harling Interview (UK)



Interview with: Mike Harling
Questions by: Lauren
Website
Blog

Mike's Guest Post


Mike, an American who moved to England, has written a book,Postcards from Across the Pond, all about his experiences there. Truthfully, I have yet to read it myself but I really hope too soon, especially after reading the guest post Mike did as well!

1. What made you decide on the title, Postcards from Across the Pond? Was this a first choice or did it come later? If it wasn't your first idea, what were some discarded ones?

It just seemed natural. It was the first thing that came to mind and I liked it and continued to use it; I have not regretted it.

2. When reading your book, what can people expect to find?

My book is very much like my website and blog; humorous articles on what it is like being an American living in the UK. The essays in the book are not featured on the website, but the style and subject matter is similar. So if you enjoy what you read on the website, you’ll like the book. And vice versa.

3. Do you have plans to write anything else in the near future? Will it be non-fiction or perhaps fiction?

My plan has always been to be a novelist. I fell into humor writing quite by accident and the fact that I have published a humor book still surprises me. I have written several novel manuscripts and my most recent one is still out there looking for a publisher. I am also working on my next novel.

4. For those who don't live in or haven't visited England (especially other Americans), what would you tell them you like the best and the least?

Both are difficult to pin down; there is so much about England that I love and very little I don’t like. And it depends upon the person. History buffs can’t get enough of the castles, Roman ruins and places like Stonehenge, and others might like to tour the countryside and take in the views. And everyone likes the accents. As for me, I like the fact that I can get to so many places without having to drive for three days. What I dislike is the British Yob culture (football hooligans, lager louts, etc.).

5. What other books should everyone be reading these days?

If you like books such as “Postcards From Across the Pond,” there are others out there of a similar ilk. “Rules Britannia,” by Toni Hargis is a good one, as is Chris Rae’s “The Septic’s Companion.” Both are funny and informative.

6. Since Bridge the Gap is about all things non-American, what is something you would like to see featured at some point?

It’s been fun bringing a glimpse of England to your readers, so I would like to see the same done for other countries, such as Spain, Latvia, Holland, Thailand, etc.

4 comments:

Chelsea said...

This was really interesting to read! And his book sounds great. Nice interview! :)

Shooting Stars Mag said...

Chelsea: I agree, it does sound great. I'm glad you liked the interview. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

-Lauren

Luisa Plaja said...

This was an interesting interview and I love the sound of the book.

And, by the way, I'm really enjoying this whole site. Thank you!

Shooting Stars Mag said...

Luisa: Thank you, and I'm glad. Doesn't the book just sound funny and intriguing? I definitely think so!

Thanks so much. :) I really appreciate it.


-Lauren